Downtown Saluda 1910
The Saluda Fire Department was established with the city in 1881. The first station was on Main Street where City Hall is currently located.
The First Apparatus
Pictured here is a 1928 Chevrolet Fire Truck, the first apparatus owned by our department. This picture was taken in 1936.
After WWII J.A. Nabors (President) and Nolan Pace (secretary-treasurer) started a movement to buy a new American LaFrance Pumper for $30,000. Through subscriptions in the community, dances, and other fund-raising efforts, they were able to raise the neccessary funds.
New Location in 1970
In 1970 the department moved to a location on Greenville Street where the Saluda Center is currently located.
199 Walnut Street, Saluda, North Carolina 28773